Technology Innovation Group
The Technology and Innovation Group includes academics, leaders of technology and innovation themes identified in the initial roadmap, representatives of UK Government research funding bodies, FP7 national contact and trade associations.
- The TIG has generated strong early participation, attracting a large turnouts (60-80) at workshops.
- The TIG has also brought together a number of stakeholders: Innovate UK, BIS, KTN, EPSRC and UK National Contact Point for Marine for the European Framework Programme (FP7).
- TIG has published the first marine technology roadmap and Innovate UK has agreed to support the sector with detailed work on the roadmap alongside a capability study.
- The TIG is the nearest the UK has to a body which maps the EU’s Waterborne technology platform.
- TIG now supports the annual FP7 research project brokerage event in London. It is also supporting Innovate UK roadmapping workshops, which will engender project development.
- The TIG chair represents Marine in the KTN board. Members of the TIG are engaged with a number of KTNs including Transport, Materials and Electronics, Sensors and Photonics; therefore a route now exists for marine industries’ challenges to be articulated in these networks.
1. To actively coordinate participation of the whole UK marine industry in identifying innovation and technology needs.
2. To promote marine industries’ innovation and technology, including generating and maintaining the roadmap.
3. To influence funding calls to promote UK marine industries’ needs (Innovate UK, Research Councils, Devolved Administrations, Local Enterprise partnerships, EU Framework Programmes, etc).
4. To facilitate project development for industry, academia and other stakeholders.
5. To be a focal point for communicating the marine industries’ challenges to relevant Innovate UK Knowledge Transfer Networks.