The vision of the UK Marine Industries Alliance is that by 2020 the UK marine industries will be renowned for the quality and value for money of their high technology products, systems and services globally, and for their overall and substantial contribution to the UK’s economic, environmental and social well being.
These marine industries, led by the UK Marine Industries Alliance, together with the maritime services sector led by Maritime UK (shipping, ports and business services), directly contribute Gross Value Added (GVA) annually of over £17bn. Cooperation could produce 4% Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR), leading to a GVA around £25bn by 2020.
Each sector offers growth opportunities:
- Commercial - exports to the global marine market (estimated at £3 trillion), especially with High Value Opportunities in emerging markets such as Brazil and Russia
- Offshore Renewables - manufacturing in high technology areas that will secure our energy supply and reduce CO2 emissions
- Naval - export of high tech systems and class-leading designs
- Leisure - the rapid growth of middle classes in other countries, where the UK quality brand can be appreciated
The UK is not the only country chasing the global opportunities in the marine sector. To remain truly competitive we need not only to provide innovative market leading products but ensure that we continue to develop the skills and technology that are essential for long-term success.
In 2011 the Marine Industries Leadership Council produced the strategy on behalf of the whole Alliance. Following extensive consultations with a wide range of stakeholders, it sets out joint activities to support economic growth and development of the companies that make up the industry. The strategy addresses agreed key issues and opportunities facing the sector. It helps to ensure that industry and Government, working together, put in place a series of appropriate measures to achieve the shared goal of making the UK marine industries amongst the strongest and fastest growing in the world.
The UK Marine Industries Alliance strategy identifies key themes that can:
- Help the marine industries deliver against market opportunities
- Enable companies to grow their market share
- Help to rebalance the UK economy
What will be achieved?
The Council’s vision is that by 2020 the UK marine industries will be renowned for the quality and value for money of their high technology products, systems, and services globally and for their overall and substantial contribution to the UK’s economic, environmental and social well-being.
In pursuit of this ambitious goal, the industries are taking accountability for a plan covering:
- Creation of a unified voice for the marine industries
- The industries’ contribution to sustainable UK economic growth through enhanced trade and exports
- Technology and innovation investments
- Development of a coherent skills roadmap
- Development of a strong UK offshore renewables sector
- Identification of risks and opportunities from future regulations
- Improvement of the supply chain
The Council will monitor progress and adapt the strategy as required for success.